Just the mere mention of “BLT” and the clouds start to part! With this mouthwatering, low-carb version, you can dive in and indulge! Go for it!
- 8 pieces of oopsie breads, see ingredients below.
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- fresh basil
- 3 eggs
- cream cheese
- 1 pinch salt
- ground psyllium husk powder
- baking powder
- Preheat oven to 300° F (150° C).
- Separate the eggs; put the egg whites in one bowl and the yolks in another.
- Whip egg whites together with salt until very stiff. You should be able to turn the bowl over without the egg whites moving.
- Mix the egg yolks and the cream cheese well. To make the oopsie more bread-like, add in the optional psyllium seed husk and baking powder.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture— try to keep the air in the egg whites.
- Put 8 oopsies on a paper-lined baking tray.
- Bake in the middle of the oven at 300° F (150° C) for about 25 minutes – until they turn golden.
Building the BLT
- First, fry the bacon.
- Place the oopsie bread pieces top-side down.
- Spread 1–2 tablespoon of homemade mayonnaise on each.
- Place lettuce, tomato, some finely chopped fresh basil and fried bacon in layers between the bread halves.
- Serve immediately.
Some of the best slicing heirloom tomatoes are Beefsteak, Brandywine, Mortgage Lifter, Cherokee Purple, and Black Krim. Watch for these at your local farmers’ market for a BLT upgrade!
86% Fat11% Protein2% Carbs