PREP TIME | COOK TIME | TOTAL TIME
5 min | 6h | 6h 5 min
servings : 6
- 3 lb beef chuck roast trimmed of excess fat*
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 French rolls or hoagie buns
- 12 slices provolone cheese
- 1/3 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup Coke NOT diet
- 2 cans beef consommé 10.5 oz. cans**
- 1/4 cup dry minced onions
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
Heat olive oil over medium high heat in a large nonstick skillet. Using two forks or tongs to hold roast, sear on all sides until lightly browned. Add to slow cooker and top with all remaining Slow Cooker ingredients.
Cook on LOW for 4 hours then remove roast to a cutting board. Thinly slice roast across the grain. Place sliced meat back in slow cooker and continue to cook on LOW for 1-2 additional hours.
When ready to serve, remove roast and strain fat from broth for dipping.
Split rolls and line the bottoms on a baking tray. Top each half with beef followed by 2 slices cheese. Bake at 350 degrees F or until cheese is melted. Serve with reserved au jus.
*The beef can be more or less than 3 pounds, but 3 pounds is roughly the amount for 6 sandwiches.
**Beef consomme can usually be found in the canned section next to the beef broth. If you can’t find it, you may substitute beef broth.