for the frosting
- 200g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 450g powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 tbsp whole milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- a few drops pink or red food coloring
1. Cream the butter on medium speed for 2-3 minutes, until pale and fluffy.
2. Add in half of the powdered sugar. Starting on a low speed and increasing to high, mix for 2-3 minutes. Add in the last half and repeat.
3. Turn the mixer down to low and add in the milk and vanilla extract. Mix on high speed for another 2-3 minutes.
4. Use a toothpick to add in very small amounts of pink or red food coloring to reach your desired shade. I used about one drop of gel food coloring. Mix on high speed for a minute or two until the color has been completely dispersed. If your buttercream seems curdled or starts to break apart at this point, pop it in the fridge for 5-10 minutes, then mix it on high speed for 30 seconds. Repeat this process as needed until the buttercream is smooth and creamy again.