Prep Time 8 minutes
Cook Time 22 minutes
Servings : 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1 tsp EACH chili pwdr, cumin, salt
- 1/2 tsp EACH dried oregano, smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 15 oz. can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 4 oz. can mild diced green chilies
- 1 cup mild salsa
- 1 10 oz. can mild enchilada sauce
- 5 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated Pepper Jack cheese
- 4 oz. cream cheese, cubed and softened
- Tortilla chips or fritos
- sour cream
- Hot sauce to taste
- fresh cilantro
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat in a Dutch oven or soup pot. Brown the meat with onions until meat is cooked. Add all spices/seasonings, red bell pepper and garlic. Sprinkle in flour and cook, stirring constantly for 3 minutes.
Stir in kidney beans, black beans, green chilies, salsa, enchilada sauce and chicken broth. Bring to boil then reduce to a gentle simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10-15 minutes or until slightly thickened.
Turn heat to low and stir in cream cheese until melted, followed by pepper jack and cheddar cheese until melted. Add milk to thin to desired consistency if desired.
Serve with tortilla chips/fritos and additional garnishes as desired.
*If you like spicy, then heat it up with some medium salsa! I use medium Kirkland brand salsa from Costco.
**Once prepared, you can keep soup warm in your slow cooker until ready to serve if desired.