- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 6 large onion, sliced (about 3 pounds) 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 sprig fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 tsp fresh thyme, leaves
- 1⁄4 tsp pepper, freshly ground
- 4 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 oz goat cheese, at room temperature
- 6 slice french bread, toasted (3/8 inch slices)
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and salt; cook, first tossing with tongs and when they begin to wilt, stirring occasionally with a spoon, until pale golden brown and very soft, about 35 minutes.
- Stir in flour and cook, stirring occasionally, until the flour is lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer the onions to a 5 or 6 quart slow cooker. Add thyme sprigs and pepper. Pour broth over the onions. Cover and cook until the flavors are blended 4-5 hours on High or 8-10 hours on Low. Discard thyme sprigs when done.
- Combine cheese and thyme leaves in a bowl. Spread mixture over the bread slices. Ladle soup into bowls, top each serving with a bread slice.
- Per serving: 10 SmartPoints; 9 PointsPlus; 6 POINTS (old)
Serving Size: 1 (387 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 331||Calories from Fat 67|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 8g||11%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||13%|
|Total Carbohydrate 53g||17%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||16%|
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- Nutrient information may not be available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available nutrient data. Use this data as a guide only.
Recipe originally inspired by Food.com with 5-star rating and 5 reviews.