PREP TIME | COOK TIME | TOTAL TIME
20 minutes | 30 minutes | 50 minutes
servings 6 servings
This chicken and dumplings recipe is the ultimate quick and easy comfort food, with a taste every bit as delicious as the Cracker Barrel version!
- 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups flour, plus additional for rolling
- 3/4 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- coarse ground black pepper to taste
- Remove the skin from the rotisserie chicken and shred the meat, discarding the bones.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt until well combined. Cut in the butter with a fork or pastry cutter, and then stir in the milk until the dough forms a ball. You may need to add an extra tablespoon or so of milk if the dough is too dry.
- Roll the dough out on a heavily floured work surface, slightly less than 1/4-inch thick works well. If you’re having trouble rolling the dough, let it rest for a minute and then continue.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut the dough into small squares. There’s no need to be too precise, about 2″x2″ is good.
- Remove the uncooked dumplings to a plate, adding additional flour in between each layer to prevent sticking.
- Bring the chicken broth to a boil. Add the dumplings one at a time to the boiling broth, stirring constantly. Add any extra flour left on the plate directly to the broth to help thicken it up. Turn the burner down to medium and cook the dumplings for about 15-20 minutes, until cooked through.
- Add in the shredded chicken and heat through. Finish with freshly cracked black pepper to taste.