- 4 small-medium boneless skinless chicken breasts (if you only have large, you can cut 2 large breasts in half lengthwise to make four smaller fillets) pounded to even thickness
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- ⅔ cup Italian style breadcrumbs (or plain breadcrumbs mixed with 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning)
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh basil, plus more for topping
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 8 ounces spaghetti noodles, cooked according to package instructions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a large baking pan.
Brush chicken on both sides with oil, then season with salt and pepper on both sides. Stir together breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese in a shallow dish and toss chicken in the breadcrumb mixture to coat on both sides. Arrange chicken on prepared baking dish.
Bake chicken for 15-20 minutes until cooked through and no longer pink in the middle. While chicken is cooking, combine marinara sauce, garlic, Italian seasoning, and basil in a medium sauce pan and stir over medium heat until hot throughout.
When chicken is cooked through, remove from oven and switch oven to broil. Top each chicken breasts with about ½ cup of marinara sauce and one slice of mozzarella cheese. Return to oven for 3-4 minutes until cheese is bubbly and starts to brown. ( keep a close eye on it so it doesn’t burn).
Serve over cooked spaghetti noodles and top with cracked black pepper and fresh basil (optional).