- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, peeled and diced
- 1 poblano pepper, cored and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 chipotles in adobo, roughly chopped
- 4 cups Kitchen Basics chicken stock
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 (15-ounce) cans beans, rinsed and drained (I used one pinto, one red kidney)
- 1 (15-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- salt and pepper, to taste
- optional toppings: diced avocado, shredded cheese, finely-chopped red onions, chopped fresh cilantro, sour cream, etc.
1 – Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onion, poblano and bell pepper, and sauté for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft and translucent. Add in the garlic and chipotles in adobo, and sauté for 1 more minute, stirring occasionally, until fragrant.
2 – Add in the chicken stock, chicken, beans, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and cumin, and stir until combined. Cover and continue cooking until the soup reaches a simmer. Then reduce the heat to medium-low, and continue simmering for at least 5 more minutes.
3 – Taste, and season with a generous pinch of two of salt and pepper, as needed. Serve warm, garnished with your desired toppings.