PREP TIME | COOK TIME | TOTAL TIME
23 mins | 30 mins
Easy garden veggie soup that’s ready in only 30 minutes and loaded with vegetables! This quick and healthy soup will be one of your new family favorites!
- 1 cup barley
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil or butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1 medium sweet potato, diced
- 1-quart vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1½ tsp Italian seasonings
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 8 oz frozen spinach
- 10 oz frozen red peppers
- Sea salt & pepper
- 2 cups frozen mixed veggies
- Cook the barley according to the package instructions, drain and set aside.
- In a 5-quart dutch oven pot, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook for 3 minutes. Add carrots and sweet potato. Saute for 4-5 minutes until the veggies start to soften. Season with sea salt and pepper.
- Add vegetable broth, water, Italian seasonings, bay leaf, garlic powder and 2 cups of frozen mixed veggies. Bring to a low boil then reduce to a low simmer. Cover and let cook for 10 minutes or until sweet potatoes and carrots are to your desired consistency.
- Add frozen spinach, frozen red peppers and diced zucchini. Replace lid and cook for 5 minutes or until everything is hot. Be careful not to let it cook for too much longer once you add the zucchini and spinach because it only take a few minutes to cook or it will get mushy. I prefer it slightly firm and still bright green.
- Taste, and season with more sea salt and pepper.
- Add the barley to the soup, stir to combine and serve.