yield: 16 DONUTS
prep time: 45 MINUTES + CHILL TIME
FOR THE DONUTS
- 3 cups apple cider
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil, for deep frying
FOR THE GLAZE
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- reserved 1/4 cup reduced cider
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- BOIL apple cider in a saucepan over medium heat until it is reduced to 3/4 cup. Cool completely.
- COMBINE 2 cups flour with sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, 1/4 cup shortening, buttermilk, eggs, vanilla and 1/2 cup reduced and cooled cider; beat at low speed with an electric or stand mixer until blended.
- BEAT at medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in remaining flour.
- CHILL for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- DIVIDE dough in half. Sprinkle lightly with flour. Roll each half to slightly less than 1/2-inch thickness on well-floured board. Cut with a floured 2 3/4 to 3-inch donut cutter. Reserve donuts holes.
- HEAT 2 inches oil to 350°F in deep fryer or deep saucepan.
- FRY 2-3 doughnuts at a time, 1 minute to 1 minute and 15 seconds on each side, or until golden brown. FRY doughnut holes 1 to 1 1/2 minutes total time. Drain on paper towels
- COMBINE powdered sugar, reserved 1/4 cup reduced and cooled cider, and 1 tablespoon of milk in small bowl; stir until smooth. If the glaze is too thick, gradually add in more milk one teaspoon at a time to thin it out a bit.
- DIP tops of doughnuts in glaze. Invert on wire racks until glaze is set.
Please login your facebook account to see the video