White rice, to serve with the finished dish
- 3 pounds strip steak or ribeye steak or flank steak, trimmed and cut against grain into 1-2-inch slices (About 2 pounds once trimmed) *
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup peanut oil, divided
- Half a large onion, cut into one-inch chunks (about 8 ounces in weight)
- 1 large red bell pepper cut into one-inch squares
- 1 large green bell pepper cut into one-inch squares
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, chopped
- Sesame seeds, for garnish (optional)
- If serving with white rice, start cooking that now.
- While rice is cooking make the sauce by combining hoisin sauce, rice vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil and chili garlic sauce in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Mix the fish sauce and corn starch and add to the hot liquid to form a thick sauce. Set aside.
- After the meat is trimmed and cut into short slices, pat dry with paper towels and sprinkle on the salt.
- Heat a wok to the highest heat your stove will produce and once the wok is smoking hot, add a tablespoon of the oil and once shimmering, add the onions.
- Cook the onions for three minutes then add all of the peppers and cook until charred on the outside but still a little crunchy, about five or so more minutes.
Full recipe Here