Seriously, is there anything your slow cooker can’t do?! Baking eggs in your slow cooker is a huge help when you have family staying over for the holidays or are hosting a brunch and need extra space.
We love how amazingly adaptable this recipe is. If you don’t want bacon, you can sub in cooked Italian sausage or chopped ham or prosciutto—or keep it vegetarian.
We love the trick of adding frozen hash browns straight to the slow cooker—no need for defrosting! They add nice bulk to the fluffy baked eggs.
1 bag 26 oz. frozen hash browns
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon ground mustard
1 16 oz. roll sausage
maple, sage or regular sausage.
Salt and pepper
16 oz. bag shredded cheddar cheese
2. Crack 12 eggs in a large bowl.
3. Mix well (and slowly) using a whisk.
4. Add the milk.
5. Go ahead and sprinkle in the ground mustard. This might sound like a weird ingredient, but I’ve come to love (and use) this in most of my recipes.
6. Add plenty of salt….
…and lots of fresh pepper. Mix well and set aside.
7. Cook the sausage on high heat, drain and set aside.
8. Add sausage on top of hash browns.
9. Is this enough cheese? Maybe? Probably. Throw the whole big bag in there.
10. Mix it up well. Or good, depending on where you’re from.
11. Pour the egg mixture over everything in the crock pot. Using a wood spoon, even everything out so it’s spread evenly.
12. Turn the crock pot on low for 6-8 hours.
Some fun variations of this recipe. Before cooking (during prep) you can add:
chunks of sourdough bread
diced green onion