Firefighters Issue Warning About The One Place You Should Never, Ever Charge Your Phone

Technology is a huge part of our lives nowadays, but when something goes wrong with it, the results can sometimes be dire. Take, for example, the exploding cell phone batteries from a few years ago that resulted in a massive global recall. Not exactly ideal, considering how most people keep their phones at their fingertips at all times.

Bringing your cell phone to bed is known to be a bad habit due to the way it disrupts your sleep cycles, but it turns out that laying in bed and texting, playing games, and hitting “Like” late into the night has another, even more serious danger.associated with it. You see, as your phone charges overnight, the battery and/or charger heats up – sometimes to the point of becoming a fire hazard.

The Newton, New Hampshire Fire Department recently posted a PSA on their Facebook about the danger of sleeping with a charging device. If you or someone you know has a habit of snuggling up with their phone or tablet overnight, they need to know about this.

The announcement was accompanied by pictures of scorched sheets, which really show how dangerous leaving your phone in bed to charge can be. It can even generate enough heat to start a fire! Here’s what the fire department wrote:

Research has revealed that 53% of children/teens charge their phone or tablet either on their bed or under their pillow. This is can be extremely dangerous. The heat generated cannot dissipate and the charger will become hotter and hotter.

The likely result is that the pillow/bed will catch fire. This places the child/teen as well as everyone else in the home in great danger. Please check where you & your family charge your mobile devices.

Besides the danger of batteries overheating on flammable surfaces, the actual charger itself can also overheat and catch fire. This risk is especially prevalent with chargers that show signs of fraying and/or are incompatible with the device they’re being used on.

Newton NH Fire Department

The biggest culprits are cheap, aftermarket chargers, so be sure that the charger you buy is high quality and has a compatible wattage with the devices you want to use it on.

The photos above are being shared by fire departments around the world in order to promote awareness. After responding to a house fire caused by an overheated battery/charger, an Alabama fire department shared the following tips:

  • Keep devices on a hard surface when charging
  • To reduce chances of overheating, avoid using the device as it charges
  • Don’t leave a charging device on soft, flammable surfaces like beds and sofas
  • Promptly replace accessories that show visible signs of wearing down.

Watch the video below to learn more, and remember to SHARE this with your family and friends.