Prep time | Cook time | Total time
22 mins | 52 mins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp imitation butter extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup cream soda
- 1 cup Heath Toffee Bits (not the ones with chocolate)
- ¾ cup butterscotch chips
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ⅓ cup butterscotch instant pudding mix, dry
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 3 tsp imitation butter extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line cupcake pan with liners.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium sized bowl and stir with a whisk until well mixed and smooth.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat together the eggs, oil, extracts, and buttermilk.
- Beat in the dry ingredients and the cream soda, alternating between the two until batter is smooth.
- Mix in the toffee bits.
- Add ¼ cup batter to each cupcake liner and bake for 18-22 minutes.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a cooling rack to cool. Bake remaining cupcakes.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce by placing the butterscotch chips in a small metal bowl and heating the heavy cream in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring cream to a simmer, then pour it over the butterscotch chips. Let set for 3-4 minutes.
- After time has passed, whisk cream and chips together until a rich sauce forms. Transfer to the fridge to cool and thicken for about 30 minutes.
- Prepare frosting by combining all ingredients in a large bowl or stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachments and beat on medium-high for about 3-4 minutes until a light and fluffy frosting forms. Transfer frosting to a pastry frosting bag or to a dessert decorating tool.
- Remove sauce from the fridge, roll out a piece of wax paper on a flat surface, dip the tops of the cupcakes in the sauce and place on the wax paper and let set for 15 minutes.
- Place each cupcake in a second liner to cover up the stickiness.
- Pipe frosting onto the cupcakes and finish with sprinkles.