- 1 cup clam juice
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 1/4 cups peeled, seeded, diced ripe tomatoes
- 1 cup diced English cucumber
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons seeded and diced jalapeno peppers
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
- Mexican-style hot sauce, to taste
- 1 large Hass avocado, cubed
Place clam juice and oregano in a saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and stir just until shrimp turn pink and are not quite cooked through, about 2 minutes. Transfer shrimp to a bowl with a slotted spoon. Reserve liquid. Let shrimp cool to room temperature.
Place chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, celery, red onion, and jalapenos is a mixing bowl. Add ketchup, cooking liquid from the shrimp, lime juice, cilantro, and hot sauce. Gently mix until ingredients are well blended.
Chop shrimp into bite-size pieces, leaving a few whole for garnishes. Stir chopped pieces into the vegetable mixture. Wrap mixing bowl with plastic wrap. Place reserved shrimp in a bowl; wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate shrimp cocktail and reserved shrimp until thoroughly chilled, 2 to 3 hours.
If mixture seems a bit thick, add a little tomato juice or pickle juice. Stir in avocado cubes. Serve, if possible, in clear glass bowls. Top with reserved whole shrimp and some cilantro leaves.
- Chef’s Note:
- You can substitute 1 1/4 cups quartered small cherry tomatoes for the diced tomatoes.