- 7 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced
- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 2 bay leaves, crushed
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger root, peeled and minced
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 pears, cored and sliced
- 2 tablespoons honey
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Heat 2 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and cook onions until softened and browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer onions into a tagine. Layer chicken pieces on top of onions.
Combine turmeric, cumin, ground coriander, and salt in a small bowl; mix well with remaining 5 tablespoons olive oil. Spread spice mixture onto the chicken pieces. Add cinnamon pieces, bay leaves, ginger, and cilantro. Pour in 1/2 cup of water and cover tagine with a lid.
Bake in the preheated oven until chicken is no longer pink at the bone and the juices run clear, about 50 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted near the bone should read 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
Melt butter in a skillet over low heat while chicken is cooking. Add sliced pears and honey and cook, while stirring, until honey has caramelized.
Remove tagine from the oven and stir in caramelized pears. Return to the oven and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Use a heavy-bottomed ceramic or cast iron casserole if you don’t have a tagine.