This meal comes together SUPER fast! A very hearty dish that goes great with a salad. It’s also versatile–add additional vegetables or even a can of drained and rinsed cannellini beans for more protein.
- 3 Italian turkey sausage links (4 ounces each), casings removed (I used the “hot” sausage version)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 2-1/4 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 3/4 teaspoon dried basil (or, you can substitute thyme and oregano)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash crushed red pepper flakes (optional if not using hot turkey sausage)
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
Crumble sausage into a Dutch oven; add onion. Cook and stir over medium heat until meat is no longer pink.
Add garlic; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
Add the broth and tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
Stir in tortellini; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-8 minutes or until pasta is tender, stirring occasionally.
Add the spinach, basil, pepper and pepper flakes; cook 2-3 minutes longer or until spinach is wilted. Serve with cheese if desired.
Yield: 6 servings (2 quarts
- Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 251.9
- Total Fat: 8.4 g
- Cholesterol: 53.8 mg
- Sodium: 1,136.4 mg
- Total Carbs: 27.4 g
- Dietary Fiber: 2.4 g
- Protein: 17.3 g