- 4–5 fresh tomatoes, cut in half horizontally and squeezed to remove seeds and excess juices, and chopped into 1-inch pieces (yield approximately 3 cups)
- A generous pinch of kosher salt
- 1 partially-baked 9-inch pie crust (see instructions here) – baked for about 8-minutes in a 450 degree F. oven
- ½ cup finely diced sweet Vidalia onion (about ½ a medium onion)
- ¼ cup finely sliced basil (8 leaves)
- 2 cups grated sharp white cheddar cheese (or other cheeses of your choice)
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Cholula Hot Sauce (or other hot sauce of your choice – adjust amount according to your tastes)
- Freshly ground black pepper
About 4-6 hours before baking (or ideally the night before), place the diced tomatoes in a sieve or strainer over a bowl and sprinkle generously with the salt. Stir to combine. Allow the tomatoes to drain off their liquid, stirring occasionally and gently pressing down on the tomatoes (use a large spoon or a small flat bowl to press the tomatoes against the sieve), until the tomatoes are very well drained. Blot with a paper towel if necessary to remove extra moisture.
- While the tomatoes are draining, pre-bake your pie crust. (See instructions here)
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread the diced onion in the bottom of the pie crust. Spread the well-drained tomatoes over the onions, then sprinkle the basil over the tomatoes.
Full recipe Here