- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced ginger (optional)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped kimchi
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 cup day-old cooked white rice
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons kimchi brine
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add red onion, garlic, and ginger. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion softens, about 3 minutes. Increase heat to high and add chopped kimchi and vinegar. Stir in cooked rice, soy sauce, sugar, soy sauce, kimchi brine, and sesame oil. Cook and stir until heated through, about 5 minutes; scrape the bottom of the skillet to prevent sticking. Season with salt and pepper.
- I prefer jasmine rice and Sempio® brand soy sauce.
- If you are not cooking for a vegan, feel free to add thinly sliced chicken breast and/or a fried egg on top of each bowl. Use honey instead of white sugar.