- 1 cup toasted hazelnuts*
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour**, plus more for working with dough
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup coconut sugar (or light brown)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 TBS oil (i.e. avocado, liquid coconut)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips (I like dark here)
- Prepare a lightly floured flat surface.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, or silicone mat, set aside.
- In a small food processor or blender, pulse hazelnuts until coarsely chopped. Set aside ¾ cups chopped hazelnuts, then pulse down the remaining into a meal-like texture (the meal goes into the batter).
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, ¼ cup of hazelnut meal, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and sugars. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together eggs, oil, and extracts. Pour this into the large flour mixture bowl, stir with large wooden spoon until just combined. Then gently fold in ½ cup of chopped hazelnuts.(Reserve the rest of the hazelnuts for dipping.)
- Transfer dough onto your floured surface and knead with floured hands, about 5 times. Divide dough into two equal parts, shaping into rough log about 9″ x 2″. Transfer logs to lined baking sheets, and bake for 20-25 minutes until lightly golden.
- Remove from oven and reduce oven temperature to 325F. Allow biscotti to cool slightly on baking sheet for 10 minutes. Then slice down the width of each log, about 1″ thick slices. Turn biscotti on it’s side and return to oven, bake for about 9-10 minutes. Then flip biscotti on other side, baking for an additional 9-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow biscotti to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes, before transferring to wire rack to cool completely. Place baking sheet or parchment paper under cooling rack for next step.
- While the biscotti is cooling, melt your chocolate in a microwave safe bowl, in 20 second intervals and stirring between each time. Dip one end of cooled biscotti in melted chocolate, sprinkle on chopped hazelnuts, then return to cooling rack. Continue this process until you’ve finished dipping and covering all of the biscotti.
- Allow dipped biscotti to set completely before storing in airtight container.
*Toasting hazelnuts will bring out their flavor. You can toast raw hazelnuts at 325F for 10 minutes. Their shells will gently fall off. Wait to cool before chopping.
**You may sub whole wheat white flour, or half whole wheat/half unbleached all-purpose.
-Chocolate Dipped Hazelnut Biscotti should keep up to 2 weeks.